SETH PHILLIPS, legal and financial translator
Welcome to my blog, known as SpanPort Linguist’s Blog. Originally from South Bend, Indiana (home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish), I have lived in Mexico City for over the past five years and love it. In the left picture I am at the 2014 ATA Spanish Language Division annual dinner event in Chicago, Illinois. In the picture below you are viewing my neighborhood nearly at sunset, facing east toward the Zócalo Plaza of Mexico City. I love reading, running, traveling, doing outdoor activities and, passionately, learning language and culture.
A native English speaker, US-citizen and formerly an International Sales professional, I am freelance translator who has not only been living abroad over the years but also traveled extensively throughout both Mexico and the United States. Mostly from Spanish, but also from Portuguese, to English, I translate business, financial and corporate legal documents, on which I am developing specialization via coursework through New York University (NYU) and other ongoing professional development sessions I attend annually.
This space will be dedicated to Spanish-English and Portuguese-English financial and legal translation topics and resources as well as various issues pertaining to the translation “profession”. You are invited to participate and discuss in this blog, and are welcome to suggest or request pertinent topics to be addressed in this blog.
– Member of ATA, NAJIT
– Over 5 years’ translation experience as freelancer (plus short period as in-house), with focus on corporate law and finance
– Post-college International Sales Internship, 8 months (Monterrey, Mexico)
– College Program Internship at Walt Disney World, 6 months (Orlando, Florida)
Educational background: – Currently working towards translation certificate through NYU (recent course: Spanish-English Financial Topics)
– 2-semester independent course: Spanish-English Contract Translation (Mexico City, 2015-2016)
– Spanish BA from Indiana University
>> Double minor in Latino & Latin American Studies
>> Certificate in Business Foundation (coursework focus: International Business)
– 55th ATA Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois (November 5-8, 2014)
– 1r Foro Internacional de Traducción Especializada, Mexico City (February 19-21, 2014)
– 54th ATA Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas (November 6-9, 2013)
– XVI Congreso OMT Internacional de Traducción e Interpretación, Guadalajara, Mexico (November 24-25, 2012)
Other Honors & Awards
– Founder and organizer of Mexico City Brazilian Portuguese Conversation Club – 14x Marathon Finisher (2:58:29 PR). Recent: >> 2015 Monterrey Gatorade, MEX (3:01), 2014 San Diego (2:58), 2013 Boston (3:07)
– Red Cross Award of excellence Mexico City (2008)
– Disney College Program Completion Award from Magic Kingdom Vice President Phil Holmes (2008) – Senior Captain Star for High School Track & Field and Cross Country (2004)